12 February 2010

UCT: Week numero uno

I made it through the first week at UCT and it seems like it is going to be a good semester, although I'm disappointed that my program class is going to be more difficult than I had anticipated. I dropped my German class, but whatever... it was not going to be a good class at alllll. Terribly boring topics, readings, and it was half in English. The schedule was horrible and conflicted with another class on Mondays and it was definitely not worth being on campus at 8 AM three days a week... So instead, I'm just keeping my poli sci classes and Xhosa, a South African language with CLICKS! It's so fun! Also difficult because it is completely foreign to me... I mean obviously it would seem foreign because it's a language from another country that I don't speak, but even though I know no French or Spanish or Russian, it doesn't sound strange or new to me. BUT... it will be really cool when I come back and I am a pro. Kentucky will not know what to do! My poli sci classes are pretty interesting too it seems like... comparative politics and then political economy, which is taught by a German woman.
So tonight I'm going to see a film about Mandela at a theater called the Labia... REALLY! It's not that type of theater.... it's actually kind of like the Kentucky Theater in Lexington (sorry all of you Germans reading this that have no idea what I mean... for those of you in Heidelberg, it's kind of like the Kamera or whatever it's called I can't remember). But yeah, it is about Mandela because yesterday was the 20th anniversary of his release from prison. Yesterday was also the opening of Parliament this year for it's duration in Cape Town (it meets part of the year here, part in Pretoria, and part in Johannesburg) and there was a parade... and the President, Jacob Zuma drove through in a thing sort of like what the Pope drives around in. So... yes, I saw the president of South Africa yesterday... Woo! And a parade!

No comments:

Post a Comment